Jingling bells and twinkling lights, candy cane and mistletoes… the holidays are such a beautiful time of the year! There are a hundred and one things to do and a dozen places to visit. From shopping to parties to dinners to weekend getaways. So isn’t it time to start prepping your skin to look its best before Christmas? Isn’t it time to start taking care of all the needs of your skin? As December knocks on your door, read about how to prep your skin for the holiday season. It will come in handy for all the weeks leading up to the grand end of the year!
- Kickstart a New Winter Skincare Routine
One of the first steps to prep your skin for the holiday season is to switch your skincare to an intense winter one. What do we mean by that?
- Switch your usual face wash for a mild, hydrating cleanser.
- Get rid of fragranced products as they may dry and irritate your already winter-dry skin.
- Up your moisturiser use by replenishing it every few hours.
- Try and get more maker-free days.
- Invest in a brightening, hydrating serum to see amazing results by the last week of December.
- Start nourishing your under eyes with a moisturising eye cream.
- Keep wearing your sunscreen.
- Start Spot Treatments
The transition from summer to fall and then to winter may have left your skin tired and even traumatised. It is common to get breakouts, acne or lingering blemishes from the summer, especially if you have acne-prone or oily skin. Before the holiday season begins, you must prep your skin’s texture by using spot treatments and skin treatments to smoothen these blemishes. There are spot creams available that will help fade marks as well as discourage new pimples. And then there are specific exfoliating skin treatments like facial and microdermabrasion, both of which help lighten the appearance of acne marks and blemishes. If you want to explore those then feel free to contact Savarnas Beauty Spa.
- Get Skin Brightening & Anti-Aging Going
If you are in the mature phase of your life, with your skin already showing signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, dark spots etc, then your pre-holiday prep needs to be different. You need to invest in brightening serums and face oils, as well as anti-aging treatments. The best ingredient for skin brightening is Vitamin C, so target masks, serums and moisturisers with the power of Vitamin C! However, if you want to work on your aging signs, and even reverse some damage before the holidays roll in, then go for retinol in your nighttime skincare. This is a strong derivate of Vitamin A, known to work wonders on signs of aging. However, it is not safe for pregnant, breastfeeding and planning-to-conceive women.
- Clean Up
The first week of December may be too soon for this, but a deep cleanup of your skin is essential to prepare it to glow. Choose one of the days just before Christmas to get a clean-up and facial. The cleanup will help you get rid of any blackheads and whiteheads. While the facial itself will exfoliate your skin of dry and dead skin cells, nourish it with a mask and leave you with stimulated blood circulation. Try and go for a facial to suit your skin type and any winter skin problem, to make sure it helps solve more problems. At Savarnas Beauty Spa, our estheticians do a thorough analysis to give you the best facial suited to your skin’s needs.
While all the topical products and treatments are going to go a long way in prepping your skin for the holidays, you also need nourishment from the inside. This will be done in 3 ways, and work gradually:
- Food: In the weeks leading up to the holiday season, try and simplify your meals. Go for healthier options, and cut down on oily, sugary and meaty dishes so that your skin gets a nice detox. Include more green veggies, healthy grains and nuts and berries in your diet. You will see the difference by the end of the month — not only on your skin but also on your overall health.
- Water: If you are not already doing it, then start drinking a good amount of water daily. Winter may not make you thirsty too often, but drink at least 8-10 glasses of water. The hydration from this daily intake will keep your skin cells healthy, distended and hence your skin looking supple and radiant.
- Exercise: Let your workouts keep your body active. The sweating clears your skin of toxins, while regular exercising stimulates better blood circulation to your skin.
- Permanent Makeup
Prep yourself to look stunning when the holiday season starts by getting permanent makeup. You need to get it by the first week of December or even a little earlier so that all the healing is underway by the time it's time to party. With permanent makeup, your features will look perfect and pretty without the need for any makeup.
- Microblading is a permanent makeup technique to enhance the appearance of your eyebrows by using tiny needles to make tiny, hair-like cuts into your brows and filling them with a safe pigment of your choice.
- Permanent eyeliner follows a similar procedure, only, it doesn’t work in hair-like strokes. It does what your normal eyeliner does. But it lasts longer (1-2 years).
- Permanent lip color Get naturally pouty and bright lips, especially if you have pigmentation or discoloration in the area.
- Eyelash Extensions: If you have always coveted those long, curled, celebrity eyelashes then get eyelash extensions a couple of days before the holidays. They last for about a month and are worth every single penny.
If you are already looking into the idea of permanent makeup, then scout our blogs to find all your answers. And if you want to choose permanent makeup for your pre-holiday beauty prep then contact us at Savarnas to set up an appointment!